After years of living in the USA, Thanksgiving is always an important holiday that we celebrate here in Rosquil House.
It’s a time of year that we miss our friends and family still living in the USA and we recall all the wonderful memories from our former lives in America.
This year, we celebrated Thanksgiving in Dublin with our daughter Valerie, her husband Steve & grandchildren Danny & Freya and I was tasked with making the ultimate Thanksgiving dessert, Pecan Pie.
This is the number one favourite dessert for Thanksgiving. I much prefer Pecans to walnuts and often substitute, especially when decorating cakes.
Here’s my ultimate recipe for the best Pecan Pie!
Pre heat the oven 180c/350/gas mark 4
- 1 1/2 cups of plain flour
- ½ cup butter
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 10” loose base flan tin.
- Rub the butter into the flour, mix in the sugar.
- Add the egg & using a knife stir it through the mix drawing it together to form a dough ball.
- Shape into a disc and wrap in grease proof paper.
- Pop in the fridge to chill for ½ an hour.
*If you prefer you can use ready made short crust pasty.
- 150 grms of Golden Syrup ( or corn syrup if you can get it)
- 100 grms room temp. butter
- 200 grms soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 350 grms pecans
- 3 large eggs – whisked together
- In a sauce pan melt the butter, add the sugar & syrup and heat until the sugar has ddissolved. It should loose the “gritty” feel when stirred.
- Add vanilla essence and cool for 10 mins
- Line your flan tin with the pastry and chill in the freezer for 10 mins.
- Add the nuts and arrange the top layer with the pecans facing downwards – looks prettier but you do not have to bother.
- Add the eggs to the syrup mixter and pour over the pecans in the pie case.
- Cook for 45-50 mins until the pie has set and the pastry is golden
Serve with ice cream and enjoy!